What causes enlargement of the spleen?

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am experiencing the following symptoms: enlarged spleen with pain at the site, kidney pain (3 weeks after a round of antibiotics for kidney infection), fatigue, generalized tenderness in hands, feet, and back. The only medications I take are atenolol 25mg/day, Lovastatin 5mg/day, estradiol 2mg/day. I was diagnosed with Alpha 1 a few years ago as an XXXXXXX carrier. I am currently in the process of having seen several doctors ruling things out. They have done a Ct of my spleen to show it enlarged. Multiple blood tests in which my RBC, WBC, Platelet counts were good. The only abnormalities were my cholesterol and triglycerides. A liver function test was done which came back normal. I have an appt to see a pathologist next. I am concerned that I may just be getting passed around.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
They are just trying to find out any cause for the splenic enlargement.

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to HealthcareMagic,

Spleen produces red cells and is also the graveyard of extra cells in the system that need to be destroyed.

a splenic enlargement may occur because of anemia, after an attack of Malaria typhoid, any serious infection, liver failure, blood and spleen cancer.

They are just trying to find out any cause for the enlargement and ruling out one by one.

But if it is following a serious infection, the spleen will come back to normal in about a month.

That is what is probably the cause in your case. Please revert back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy