What causes enlargement of the cyst in the right breast, developed as a result of long-term steroid intake?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 7 Dec 2018 in Lump
Question: I used steroids for about 4 years from ages 19-23, and developed small cysts underneath my nipples as a result. Now, i have noticed that the one in my right breast has enlarged slightly, at least enough for me to notice. Is it common to gyno to be associated with cysts and it is normal for these cysts to grow withweight gain? I havent been very physically active for the past 3 years or so and have put on some weight. The cysts is somewhat moveable and tender when pressed on. I have noticed that the cysts seem to be more manageable when i exercise and build my pectorals. Thank you for any advice.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

It is normal.

Detailed Answer:

Hi!

Well, cysts are present in subcutaneous tissue between muscle and skin. Usually these cysts never pull back spontaneously and these may only grow.

If you gain weight or build your pectoral muscles, these cysts will become more prominent or may grow along with muscle,fat and breast growth. So this is not something unusual.

However, if it continues to grow or become painful, it would be good to do and ultrasound and needle aspiration of the cyst.

In some cases surgical removal may be recommended.

Hope I have answered your query.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein
General Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T