What causes enlargement of breast in men?
Thanks for posting your query on HCM.
I appreciate your concern for the painful swelling in the left breast.
Gynecomastia is due to the excess growth of breast tissue.
Usually harmless, but may cause embarrassment for some men.
The most common cause of breast enlargement in men is due to an imbalance of estrogen (female hormone) and testosterone (male hormone).
Other causes include chronic liver diseases (like alcoholic cirrhosis), kidney diseases, certain cancers, and medications (like Cimetidine, Spironolactone, or Finasteride or Flutamide).
I would like to advice you to visit a doctor for proper physical examination to rule out any inflammation or some other benign conditions.
Meanwhile apply cold compresses and use NSAID pain killers for the relief of pain.
Your doctor may request for the lab tests, ultrasound or mammography to arrive at a diagnosis.
Hope the suggestions given above could be of great help to you.
Should you need more clarification, please feel free to send your query.
Wishing you best of your health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes breast to swell
- What causes breast discharge sometimes blood in men
- What causes breast inflammation
- What causes pain in breast
- What causes a sore breast
- One enlarged breast causes
- What is the cause of breast growth in men
- What causes breast thickening
- What causes lumps in breasts
- What causes fibrocystic breast
- Suggest treatment for chronic hepatitis c infection
- Are marks on the inner thighs indicative of herpes?
- Can Betacap-Tr, Nurokind-LC, Mobizox-5000, Ultracet and Rivotril be...
- What causes pain on left side of lower back?
- Suggest treatment for metastatic colon cancer which is not responding to...
- What causes abdominal pain while sitting?
- Suggest treatment for palmar hyperhidrosis
- What causes lose motion and dizziness while walking in elderly?
- What causes bleeding from penis?
- Can Ascoril expectorant cough syrup cause false positive in a drug test?