question-icon

What causes enlarged tonsils in a child?

Posted on Wed, 13 Jul 2016
Question: My 4 year old daughter has always had large tonsils but we noticed last evening that her left tonsil is now touching her uvula and pushing it to the side. Should we be concerned?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (16 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Picture is

Detailed Answer:

Does your daughter has symptoms of pain during swallowing?
Frequent sorethroat ?
Fever, is not picking weight?
The picture as you said shows the large tonsil but unless the tonsil obstructs the air way or food taking or chewing it does not need intervention.
If any treatment is done it has to be excision of the tonsil. I feel there is no need of excision unless there are bothering symptoms hampering her daily life or unable to catch up to the toddlers of her age.

Let me know if any information you have.

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam