What causes enlarged tonsils and ear pain?

ENT Specialist
Question
enlarge tonsils for years, I have earache, no appetite, treated for strep but still enlarged what can be the cause? I would appreciate an answer. thank you
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Deepashree 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
enlarged tonsils, not infected, needs no worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
In my opinion, enlarged tonsils suggests chronically infected tonsils.each time the tonsils are infected, they increase in size because of the congestion.
Streptococcus are the common bacteria infecting the tonsils.
Once the tonsils are enlarged they are prone to get infected causing throat pain and referred pain to the ear.
So since your are having ear ache we have to evaluate whether the ear pain is because of isolated ear problem or because of infected tonsils.
If it's ear problem, then that has to be clinically examined and treated.
Once the tonsil infection reduces, ear pain also reduces.
Enlarged tonsils ,not infected ,need no worry.
Enlarged tonsils , causing repeated infection by any bacteria, more than 3 episodes in 6 months, needs to be operated and removed.
Hope my answers have helped you.
pleased to help you further. Thanks.