Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
145 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes enlarged scrotum and penis?

Answered by
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 17748 Questions

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: husband, age 80, obese, noticing enlarged scrotum and penis. Penis is inverted and round and short like a doughnut. He has been wearing DEPENDS day and night for the last week. No pain. But pain in muscles of stomach when urinating.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Causes as enumerated below and tests to be done

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query about your 80 year old husband.
Noted the history of enlarged scrotum and penis, penis is inverted, round and short like a doughnut - wearing 'depends' day and night for the last week - no pain - pain in muscles of stomach while urinating - he is 80 and obese - seen the Doctor for some other problems - keeping area clean and changing depends every 6 hours ...

The causes can be:
Edema due to stagnation of fluid in the said area
Added by anemia and/or hypoproteinemia
Or infection causing edema, the symptoms and signs of infection may not be very much evident so soon in this area.
The penis gets buried in the edema hence the appearance you described.

I would advise you the following in such a situation:
- Clinical evaluation by a Doctor
- Tests of blood for CBC, kidney functions, liver functions including serum proteins
- Tests of urine: routine, microscopy, culture and sensitivity.
- High resolution ultrasonography and color doppler to ascertain the cause and effects, to find out any collection of pus or so; and of abdomen.

These will give the idea about the probable cause and gives a plan of further management.
I hope this answer helps him to get an early and proper diagnosis and treatment. Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Ultrasonography

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr. I am married and having a kid of 5 years old. My last period was Feb 23. Till now for this month i have not get periods, have taken...

doctor1 MD

hI, My husband is having pain at right abdomen frequently. Sometimes it s unbearable. He done some tests like sonography It has found that there is...

doctor1 MD

Is Zanocin-400 a drug for Typhoid tretment? Does it control rigers and fever? My doctor has prescribed it as a possibel treatment for typhoid....

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...hello iam surbhi from india .my health problem is heamatourea with...

doctor1 MD

I have pain and swelling under my upper arm on both sides. I am 70 female.

doctor1 MD

I just got a recall back from a mammogram app. I'm very scared, what could it be if not cancer?

doctor1 MD

I have a constant spasm in my lower left abdomen no pain feels like a baby kicking but I’m 63. What can it be?