What causes enlarged scrotum and penis?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: husband, age 80, obese, noticing enlarged scrotum and penis. Penis is inverted and round and short like a doughnut. He has been wearing DEPENDS day and night for the last week. No pain. But pain in muscles of stomach when urinating.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Causes as enumerated below and tests to be done

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query about your 80 year old husband.
Noted the history of enlarged scrotum and penis, penis is inverted, round and short like a doughnut - wearing 'depends' day and night for the last week - no pain - pain in muscles of stomach while urinating - he is 80 and obese - seen the Doctor for some other problems - keeping area clean and changing depends every 6 hours ...

The causes can be:
Edema due to stagnation of fluid in the said area
Added by anemia and/or hypoproteinemia
Or infection causing edema, the symptoms and signs of infection may not be very much evident so soon in this area.
The penis gets buried in the edema hence the appearance you described.

I would advise you the following in such a situation:
- Clinical evaluation by a Doctor
- Tests of blood for CBC, kidney functions, liver functions including serum proteins
- Tests of urine: routine, microscopy, culture and sensitivity.
- High resolution ultrasonography and color doppler to ascertain the cause and effects, to find out any collection of pus or so; and of abdomen.

These will give the idea about the probable cause and gives a plan of further management.
I hope this answer helps him to get an early and proper diagnosis and treatment. Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng