What causes enlarged prostrate with difficult defecation?

Question
My prostrate has doubled in size it doesn't effect urination but I do have great difficultly passing my stools
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Compression of large intestines by prostate,

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is good luck and interesting that your urination is not affected. It might be of interest to get a Prostate Specific Antigen Measure (PSA done) and a prostate ultrasound and biopsy done. If you have done so already, great, if not, it would be worth while in order to be pretty sure the enlargement is purely benign (Not a cancer).

The prostate is a gland that is located below the bladder and behind the rectum (terminal part of the large intestines just before reaching the anus). Depending on the direction of enlargement of the prostate, symptoms might very. If it towards the bladder, one shall experience urinary difficulties. In your case, the enlargement for sure is towards the front with accompanying compression of the terminal areas of the large intestines, especially the rectum. This explains why you are having problems to stool.

Reducing the size of the prostate with some medication, or with surgery would for sure relieve these symptoms.

The opinion of a urologist would be most timely in this case. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain