What causes endometrial hyperplasia?

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Fri, 11 Jul 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hello,
I had a pelvic ultra sound done 2 months ago where they found I had adenomyosis and my endometrial lining was 1mm thick. I have just had a follow up ultra sound done which says my endo lining is 41mm thick. Surely this is a typo? Is this possible?
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not impossible...

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear!
Yes it is possible that endometer lining is 41 mm . This is called endometrial hyperplasia .

Endometrial hyperplasia is an abnormal proliferation of the endometrium (ie greater than the normal proliferation that occurs during the menstrual cycle).
Women who have (or who have had) irregular menstrual cycles, are at greater risk for endometrial hyperplasia.

A biopsy of endometrial tissue may be taken during a pelvic examination and a Pap smear is performed (a small sample of cells is scraped from the cervix and examined under the microscope), it is done mostly to rule out other abnormalities.

The Pap smear has a low detection rate for endometrial abnormalities.

All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad