What causes encopresis in a 11 year old?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 2 Jan 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 11 year old grandson. Is having defecation accidents. I am sure this is not laziness or on purpose. He is very distressed about it. He is in 6th grade so this could be very socially embarrassing for him. He did have issues as a young child with severe constipation and extremely large stools. He frequently had accidents until about age 8. It got a lot better after that but he still has "skid marks" pretty much every day. He goes to the bathroom everyday and his stools are soft. Is there anything physically that could be the problem? We live in a very small town so specialists are about 2 hours away but I would be happy to take him if it could help.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This could be encopresis or an anatomical issue with external sphincter

Detailed Answer:
Hi..... I understand your concern.

By what you've mentioned, I feel that the possibilities could be -

1. Encopresis.
2. An anatomical problem in the external anal sphincter which could be leading to these leakage issues.
3. Irritable bowel syndrome

But as you say, that he had similar problems as an young kid, which later got resolved and with another important history that you have mentioned that he passes soft stools everyday, the possibility of it being encopresis comes down.

It could be an anatomical laxity problem in the external anal sphincter. I suggest that you see a paediatric surgeon regarding this.

Coming to the third possibility which I have suggested, it could as well be an irritable bowel syndrome. But it should cause frequent bowel movements but not leakage issues like this.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Should we be able to just make an appointment with the surgeon or do we have to make an initial appointment with a pediatrician?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please take an appointment with pediatrician

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... Please take an appointment with the pediatrician first. Once he recommends after physical examination, you can approach the pediatric surgeon.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar