What causes elevated urobilinogen levels?
I was also on HCTZ then 50mg I was started on metformin gradually until at a 1000mg tablet twice a day, statin blocker changed to Lipitor. 10.4 A1C 4/17 now 6/30 6.1. last blood work normal hemocrit, enthrocytes slightly low but urobilinogen 4. Was normal two months ago
forgot to add 4/26 hospitalized for low mag & potassium and heart wave intervals. They felt like metformin might have been cause. Stopped for two days in hospital then restarted. stopped HCTZ replace with 12.5 losartan.
lipitor might be the cause.
Dear i can understand your concern
I am very happy to see that your hba1c reduction is very good and well controlled blood sugar is very important for avoiding complications in future.
remember Exercise and good diet pattern are very crucial for a better diabetes control along with medication.
In my opinion the most probable reason for elevated urobilinogen might be lipitor.
statins are well known drugs which causes some disturbance in liver function.
slight liver cell damage will increase the bilirubin and this bilirubin will get metabolised to urobilinogen.urobilinogen will be excreted by urine and feces.
Replacing our medication from HCTZ to losartan is the best idea as losartan offers kidney protection in diabetes individuals.
i suggest you check your Liver function test and basing on the report further action can be suggested.
i would like to know about your height weight and alcohol intake.
i am ready for further discussion
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
it might not be liver cancer or liver cell failure
i am very happy for the reduction of weight because weight reduction is very important in reversal of insulin resistance and reduction of insulin requirements in diabetes.
possibility of liver failure and cancer is very very rare.In liver failure there will be presence of elevated bilirubin in blood and symptoms of jaundice like yellow eyes.
As per your reports Bilirubin is with in normal limits in urine.
Alcohol will cause some liver damage But you don't have that habit also
So kindly don't think about such a rare possibilities
elevated liver enzymes is more common in patients taking high dose statins
kindly speak with your Doc and consider dose change of statin.
Relax and Enjoy life with good health
kindly check your Liver function test when you see your doc.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes elevated sgpt levels
- What causes elevated ast level
- What causes elevated ldh levels
- Elevated urobilinogen and swollen lymphnodes
- What causes elevated ggt level
- What causes elevated sodium level
- Constipation cause high urobilinogen
- What causes elevated esr level
- What causes elevated ptinr level
- What causes elevated homocystine level
- What causes lactic acidosis with genetic immune deficiency?
- What causes severe allergic reaction when on insulin injections?
- What diet should be given to a diabetic?
- Suggest treatment for erectile dysfuction caused by diabetes
- What causes rash on calf when suffering from diabetes?
- Is Lipitor intake safe for treatment of high blood pressure?
- What causes dizziness and troubled vision?
- Suggest treatment for diabetes
- What causes fluctuating blood sugar levels in a diabetic patient?
- Suggest diet to be taken in pre-diabetes