What causes elevated troponin levels?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had elevated troponin it was 44 the dr said it's not high enough for heart attack that should be in the thousands or millions but it was still elevated then siwent down to normal under ten and the troponin tests I've had done since then are all under

I was in a packed out cinema and in full blown anxiety attack when I felt the pain shot from my chest down my arm like a lightning bolt then I got the 44 reading, so I'm curious to know if anyone knows if panic attacks and anxiety can elevate troponin levels only for them to return to normal once panic seizes
I also suffer chronic constant severe pain from fibromyalgia which is worse in my left side

I've had an echocardiogram and a ct scan of the heart which were both normal

I just need to know if I'm in danger of a heart attack or is it severe anxiety for four months
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry too hear about this pain and the increased troponin levels. Typically, troponins are specific to the heart muscle and any increases suggests a cardiac origin. Minor and non significant increases can be noted in cases of increased heart activity like may happen during anxiety and panic attacks. However, this would be in proportions far lower than the expected range for a cardiac attack. Also, other investigations like EKG, cardiac ultrasound, etc would show no abnormality. This sounds like what you experienced.

This is no way puts you at any increased risk for heart attacks.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.