What causes elevated triglyceride levels?
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns
I am sorry to hear that you had blood work and it was noted that your triglycerides had increased over 400. Triglycerides are very volatile. They can change quickly with diet. Usually a diet high in fat. If you are eating ice cream and drinking lots of milk or eating cheese the triglycerides will quickly elevate. Another cause is familial hypertriglycerides. This is a genetic predisposition to elevated triglycerides and is due to the liver making large amount of triglycerides.
The usual treatment is make sure you eat a low fat diet and exercise regularly. This will help your bodies metabolism burn off the fats and prevent the elevated cholesterol and triglycerides. Also taking medication like atorvastatin will help reduce both cholesterol and triglycerides.
1. Elevated Triglycerides due to diet and genetics
2. Eat a low fat diet and exercise
3. Take your medication as directed
4. Repeat your labs in 2-3 months
I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes elevated vldl and triglycerides
- Causes of high cholesterol and triglycerides level
- Causes of triglyceride levels
- Will high triglycerides level cause impotent
- Will atenelol cause elevation in triglycerides
- Elevated triglycerides causes
- What are the causes of high triglyceride level
- What causes triglycerides to increase
- Causes of high triglyceride level
- Increased triglyceride level causes