What causes elevated red blood cell count with fever, body aches and chills?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: for the past 3 weeks I have been battling a fever. everyday in the morning my temp is in the 99degree range and stays most of the day until around 4 or 5 in the evening then it starts going up. always at least in the 101 to 102 range and even hit 103 one time, with body aches and chills. And every night waking up several times soaking wet as thought the fever broke. Next morning it is back down to the 99 range , although there have been a few days were it did not go below 100. I have been to the ER, no Flu, the only thing they could tell me was my red blood cell count was elevated. Gave me a high powered antibiotic to take Augmenton for a week. today is last day of those pills and I am still having the same problem? I might also add this all started around the same time I got bitten on the cheek by something. don't know what. Doc at Access Med did not think the 2 were related, but gave me Doxycycline to take for a week to ward off infection in the bite. I has since healed over.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs to be investigated.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. A fever of 3 weeks needs to be investigated thoroughly. The first probability to rule out is typhoid. You need to get your blood tested for Widal test. The next probability to rule out is tuberculosis. Getting a chest X ray done would be the first step. Get these done and then upload the reports using the facility on the upper right of this page. Based on that I will guide you further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 22 minutes later
Actually a chest X ray was done when I went to the ER and they said it was fine.
I am not coughing other than occasional allergy sinus drainage. I live in Oklahoma
and the past week the cedar pollen has been in the extreme category. but that is clearing up after taking Zyrtec and pseudoephedrine. If this narrows it down any?
Brief Answer:
Continue taking Zyrtec.

Detailed Answer:
Allergic cause is a very likely cause and it can linger. That you are getting relief with Zyrtec, speaks in its favor. If the chest X Ray was clear you should get the Widal test done. If that too is negative, possibly it is nothing other than due to a viral or allergic cause.

As of now continue to take Zyrtec. Montek LC (monteleukast + levocetirizine) [prescription medicine] is a better medicine which should help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad