• question-icon

What causes elevated postprandial blood glucose levels?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Diabetes
Question: I took the 1000 mg of metformin at 7 oclock am. at 9 sm my glucose is 321. tool celexa lisnopril also. is 321 dangerous. drank lots of water in 2 hours. I'm 51. any advice
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About high blood sugar;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
The rapid postprandial raise of blood glucose is probably caused by a rich meal in carbohydrates, or a need to change the therapy if HbA1c ( the mean glucose level of the last three months) is high.
For the moment it is not an emergency. Just keep monitoring the blood sugar,avoid the foods rich in carbohydrates and keep drinking water.
Hope i have been helpful.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 45 minutes later
had water and bowl of low sugar cereal. and took 10 units of insulin last nite at 10 pm
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
About high glucose levels;

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
It is very difficult to judge about a single glucose level. Of course some more information are needed.
The main causes of raise in blood sugar are;
-Exaggerated carbohydrate intake
-Less physical activity
- The presence of a '' stressful" event such as fever, psychological stress ect.
- The treatment is not more efficient and should be modified. Probably rapid insulin before the meals is needed.
As I mentioned before the HbA1c is very important to judge about the treatment modification.
Keep monitoring the blood sugar fasting, before and after meals to see the tendency of the glucose levels.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist