What causes elevated platelet levels?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I have been going to different doctors trying to pin down my blood problems that have been bothering me for some time. What led me to want to figure out was that my Platelets were always elevated, not to terribly high but high. For about 3 years ranges from 494 - 550, In the last year any tests that I have had shown issues but it seems like when I go to doctor they don't take into account all my previous things. Am I just parinoid? Heres a break down of blood issues in last year. High Platelets - Low Iron Stores - Low Vitamin D, RBC Low, MCV High, Hemoglobin Low. Creatine Clearance Normal, CrC1 C&G Normal. Can you lead me to any possiblities. From my research I would either be looking at something to do with my bone or liver. Can you give me any guidance on whether I should press my doctors on this. Is any of this troubling?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
investigation is required

Detailed Answer:

a high ALP is usually caused by bone or liver disorders (including the toxic effects of certain drugs). High platelet count may mean various things but it's not diagnostic. Inflammatory conditions, tumors, etc, including iron deficiency.
Regarding iron deficiency, the cause can be either reduced intake of iron or increased iron losses (blood losses mostly).

In patients like you I usually start the investigation with radiological tests for the liver. An ultrasound scan is a great way to start because no exposure to radiation is required, it's fast and cheap.

Depending on the results, more tests would be needed.

Finally you should receive vitamin D supplements and test again after 2-3 months.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!