• question-icon

What causes elevated neutrophil count in a Raynauds disease patient?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Blood Disorders
Question: My husband went to the doctor last week because he had pain in his finger. A little bit of history-- He had a very deep cut 12-18 months ago that had to be sutured. Lately he has been saying that the finger is throbbing- and there was some cold sensitivity. He went to his pcp who diagnosed Raynauds Disease in that finger. He also thought there might be an infection because the fingertip was hard and white. He put him on Keflex, and a Calcuim Channel Blocker ( which he said would help with the Raynauds and his blood pressure). He also ordered a CBC. He has been on Keflex for about a week. He says the finger is a little bit better but not much. His CBC came in the mail today- His WBC is 14.1 ( on a normal scale of 3-11)- RBC is Normal 5.71 ( on a scale of 4.4 to 6 ) HGB is high- 17.4 on a scale of 13-17- Platelets are normal- The breakdown of WBC's is Neut# 8.6 Lymph # 4.3, Mono 0.9 , EO# 0.2. and BASO# 0.1--It is noting the NEUT# as high - 8.6 ( on a scale of 2.0 to 6.9) and Lymph# as 4.3 on a scale 0.6 to 3.4. The doctor only wrote a note to recheck in a couple of months when the finger is better.I am concerned that this could be something more serious, I am weary about the infection ( because it has been over a year). i am wondering if I should be pushing this issue more.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be a reactionary change in counts.

Detailed Answer:
The increased neutrophil count in your husband can be due to a mild infection or can be a reactionary change in the counts. This is just a mild rise and is not suggestive of a serious issue. Since his physician has already seen the report and there are no signs of infection in the finger there is nothing much to worry. The circulation in Raynauds takes time to improve. It is best to get the counts done again after few months and see the trends.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon