What causes elevated liver enzymes?

Dr. Enrique Molina

Posted on Thu, 15 May 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hello, had a physical and SGOT was 38 and SGPT was 58 - - both "out of range" by 2 or 3 according to lab. All other liver-related tests within range. BMI is 35, doc says these readings are due to being overweight and I need to reduce. Do these SGOT/SGPT levels indicate more than reversible trends if/when I do lose weight? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
likely fatty liver

Detailed Answer:
your liver enzymes are just slightly elevated and are likely due to fat accumulation in the liver given the fact that your BMI is so high.
fat accumulation in the liver causes elevation of the liver tests, however if dietary precautions and weight loss are achieved promptly, these enzymes and the inflammation should rapidly reverse. on the other hand, if you don't lose weight, and there remains inflammation in the liver for a long time together with elevation of the liver enzymes, you can end up with cirrhosis, however this takes many years to happen.
start now to lose weight through diet and exercise. control your cholesterol if elevated.
you should also be checked for viral hepatitis. ask your doctor for it.
hope that helped
let me know if your have any further questions