What causes elevated liver enzymes in a chronic hepatitis B patient?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 1 Jun 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi, my liver enzyme ALT is a bit elevated 75 (norm 60) I have chronic HBV and currently under medication and HBV is not detectable. So I am trying to find out why liver enzyme is still elevated. Does it mean my leaver getting damaged anyway?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to continue antivirals till it's normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in the best way possible. First of all, it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, with still slightly raised ALT level, you need to continue oral antivirals along with 6 monthly PCR quantification and hepatitis B complete profile specially HBeAg, as treatment will depend on all these along with ALT levels.

It can also rise during resolution phase but likely possibility is that the virus activity is present or there can be other factors like a fatty deposition or liver disease so other risk factors should be ruled out.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee