What causes elevated heart rate?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Im a 25 yr old male exercises 4 times a week I dont consume alcohol no caffeine drug free I been having extra beats my heart feels wierd I can feel the extra beat in my chest to my neck some days its bad and other days I get them less frequent They did an ekg came up abnormal I consulted a cardiologist my second ekg was normal my echo came normal my stress was normal and my holter monitor came with some slow beats with long pauses so they send me to see an electrophysiologist for a second opininon based on the slow heart beats and I explain my symptoms to the doc and he said it could be ectopic heartbeats but they were not life-threatening that it was ok to have them and that the slow heart beats with pauses were normal on a person around my age. I was sent home not convinced and im actually having this ectopic beats very often especially when im laying down and after meals I get them. They freak me out beacuse it feels like my heart stops for a second or two. The wierd thing is they dont happen during exercises but im still stressing out is their something I can do to make them go away?I've try to ignore them and not to thing about it but it just feel not right when it happens and I freakout even more
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Relax about this......this is not a major health concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I understand how worried you are about these symptoms and findings. the truth is that they cannot cause any serious health consequences. The biggest problem is to overcome the thoughts that you have about this. I will suggest that you adopt a relax attitude towards this and know that all us well despite this observation. The level of physical exercise your are able t toleratesays a lot about the functional state of your heart. I will like you to focus on that and know that you are in a good state of health.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.