question-icon

What causes elevated heart rate post alcohol consumption?

Posted on Tue, 10 May 2016
Question: i am 25 year old male 6ft 185lbs yesterday i got back home from a job that i have been on for two weeks when i got home i started drinking alcohol around 730 pm and drank until about 1130 pm i was in bed and asleep at midnight i tossed and turned all night and got up about 630 by head hurt and my heart rate was 118 beats per minute and it felt like my heart is flip flopping. the flip flopping part kind of went away but my rate is still staying around 110 bpm. is this due to drinking or anxiety from not being home for so long.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Your symptoms are most likely due to drinking. Anxiety can cause trouble sleeping, discomfort, and an elevated heart rate, but it would be impossible to diagnose anxiety in this setting because you were drinking for 4 hours, and alcohol can also cause all these symptoms. I would stay hydrated today, take some Tylenol for headache, and rest. In the future, I would avoid drinking so much, as it can clearly have a negative impact on your health.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist