• question-icon

What causes elevated heart rate, heartburn, excessive gas and face flushing?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my heart rate is over 100, my face feels flush, but i'm breathing normally. I've got lots of heartburn and gas and took .5mg of xanax two hours ago in case this is a panic attack. I'm not feeling anxious but the heart rate hasn't slowed to near normal. No pressure or pain in the center of chest except followed by a belch. There is also heartburn feeling on the left side of the chest near the top part of the stomach. The ER is 20 miles away and i do have a cardiologist appointment for a first visit two days from now to check things out but I don't want to wait to go to the ER if it's something I should look into. Every morning between 5 and 6 a.m. the heart beat is strong enough to wake me up. It's either really fast or faster than normal but with a really strong beat. this evening the rate is hovering between 85-110
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is nothing to worry about!

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to anxiety.

Your elevated heart rate is related to sympathetic nervous system activation (also called fight or flight response), which causes increased production of chatecholamines (adrenaline and noradrenaline) which are directly released in your blood, causing this symptomatology.

These substances are metabolized in a short period by your body, but in case of prolonged emotional stress (even the persistent thought that something is wrong with your heart), their levels remain high because of prolonged production.

You should just try not to think about it and relax! Close your eyes and take a deep breath!
Your symptoms are not related to any cardiac disorder, I can assure you this!

Regarding the belching and burning sensation in your chest, it may be related to gastritis or gastro-esophageal reflux. You should know that anxiety can exacerbate these symptoms. I would recommend trying an antiacid or a PPI (omeprazole, lansoprazole, etc.), which will help you manage these symptoms.

Regarding the fact the elevated heart rate during the morning, I agree with your doctors that these may be nocturnal panic attacks.

Nevertheless, I would recommend performing these tests:

- an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring to examine your heart rhythm trends during the day and night
- thyroid homone levels. Thyroid imbalance can lead to similar symptoms.
- a polysomnography. If these symptoms occur only during sleep, they could be related to a sleep disorder. This examination would exclude a sleep disorder.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist