What causes elevated heart rate along with dizziness?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi All afternoon my heart rate has been over 100. It has gone as high as about 115 bpm. I feel a little faint but no real pains apart from a twinge here and there.

I have tests a few months ago on my heart and it said all was OK. An Echo and Nuclear Scan were fine.

Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
this is not a dangerous level

Detailed Answer:
it is true that your heart rate should be less than 100. There are several things that can make it too high. Anxiety, smoking, caffeine, alcohol, decongestants are just a few of them. The rate of your heart will not hurt you if it is only temporary but if it persists you need to see a doctor. Also if the feeling faint lasts more than a few hours you should see a doctor right away.
A fast heart rate combined with feeling faint can be a sign of an abnormal heart rhythm. If this lasts more than 6-8 hours then I think you should be seen right away.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson