• question-icon

What causes elevated heart rate after taking Clarithromycine, Methylprednisolone and Montelukast?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Yes I had AFIB over a year ago. I am taking clarithromyicin for sinus . One side effect is fast heartrate This morning my sys is 118 my dias 86 but my heartrate is 135 should be 60-80 I am not sure if it is the medicine I can feel my hart beat when I lay down or now standing. When the tech took my pulse before seeing my ENT last week he took a couple readings and said 130 then recalculated and said OK I saw my ENT Wednesday started medicine Thursday .

Sincerely

XXXXXXX XXXX

After my ENT Doctor gave me allergy sinus medicine That's when I noticed an elevated heart rate but I just checked this AM because of non sleep.
The other meds I am taking beside clarithrymycin are mentelukast and methyprenisolone all for allergy Since my AFIB over a year ago I have had no systems or problems with any other medical. I am in excellent physical condition and have a regular workout three days a week.

my spelling on the meds corrected Methylprednisolone and Montelukast

Thank you
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further examinations are needed

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you for asking HealthCareMagic.
I have gone through your concern and i understand.

From the information you write i think that you may have a return of Atrial fibrillation so you have to go to the local doctor ( hospital ) and to check your heart .

Palpitation( feeling your heart beat) ,fast heart rate ( 130/minute) and sometimes diffucult breathing, weakness, light -headness..are typicall symptoms of an on set of Atrial fibrillation.

The medications you take, Clarithromycine, Methylprednisolon, doing hard physical activity may be the triger of irregular heart beat.

So I would recommended to consult a doctor ( cardiologist as soon as you can to do a ECG,blood test,Heart ultrasound if needed, he /she will perform a physical examination.These are neccesary to rule out Atrial Fib and start a proper treatment.Meanwhile try to relax and avoid any physical activity, avoid caffeine, alcohol...

Hop i have answer your question.
Let me know if you have any further clarifications, i will be happy to help .
Take Care !
Dr Balliu.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Thank You. I have a cardiologist and will call ASAP> My pulse has dropped to 110 since stopping the clarithromyson at least.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good that it is droped

Detailed Answer:
Hello Again!
You are welcome.
Is good that is droped to 110 after stoping Clarithromycine( bacterial sinusitis treatment).
Follow the advices i wrote to you, you will talk more with your cardiologist after he / she examine you to rule out Atrial Fib and further treatment if it's neccesary.
Wish you good health.
Take Care!
Dr Balliu

Dr. Rudina Balliu