What causes elevated eosinophil and low WBC counts despite having negative HBV infection?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I recently passed an acute hepatitis b infection (maybe notable that I cannot trace the risk of exposure near the usual "acute" time frame). My first negative and non-detected HBV dna count was March 25 2015. I had relative neutropenia 13% with WBC count on the lower end of normal during the worst of it. Four and half months later, I still show relative neutropenia but improved to 26% with a slightly higher WBC count of 5.8. Also, my platelets are decreased from the mid 200's down to the very bottom of normal at 131. EOSINOPHILS are slightly elevated at 8% but are up from 1%. All other CBC values are normal. Can these results be explained by a HBV infection that was "passed" almost 5 months ago? Should I be worried about something more serious? Also I am experiencing some minor redness in my knuckles, not sure if that is significant.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following answe rto your queries...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Those results can be explained by a HBV infection almost five months ago. However, these findings may be found on a few cases (especially severe HBV infection).

HIV is a more common cause of these findings and you should wait for the HIV test results.

Since the blood parameters are becoming better you shouldn't worry about these data for the moment and wait for the test results and hematologist consultation.

The redness in your knuckles are significant and you should do plasma prothrombin time and INR to evaluate liver function and to exclude liver failure.

Moreover, I would like to know more about your treatment, to exclude any possible side effects that may explain these findings.

Hope this was of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu