question-icon

What causes elevated cholesterol levels after inhaling Cocaine?

Posted on Fri, 3 Feb 2017
Question: Hi, I had a blood cholesterol test done more than 24 hours after using cocaine, the cocaine was taken nasally. I fasted for 12 hours before the test. I am 37 years old, in reasonable health. I am not a habitual cocaine user, having previously used cocaine more than 6 months before. My question is could the cocaine use have caused a spike in my cholesterol levels keeping in mind the time between the use of the cocaine and the blood sample being taken.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (54 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Cocaine use unlikely to interfere cholesterol results

Detailed Answer:

Although there are no studies which say about relation between cocaine use and cholesterol test results, my personal opinion would be that there should not be interference between the cocaine use more than 24 hours and then the test.
You should understand that it is not the cholesterol that cause the risk but the inflammation of the arteries that loose then lipid plaque that cause a risk. Surely cocaine intoxication would increase inflammation and cause untoward incidents.

For now I mean at least the next action would not change with this result. However I suggest not to repeat this the next time you get to an annual physical.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam