What causes elevated carcinoembryonic antigen levels while treating colorectal cancer?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Cancer
Question: Have a colon cancer step 4. Am following a chimiotherapy since 5 years.my CEA level jumped to 256 today. what does it mean. is it dangerous?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 minutes later
This may be due to recurrence of the cancer.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 59 minutes later
Have a colon cancer step 4. Am following a chimiotherapy since 5 years.my CEA level jumped to 256 today. what does it mean. is it dangerous?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes this needs attention

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concerns. Chemotherapy for 5 years is difficult. CEA level rising progressively suggests progression of the disease. You have mentioned that it has jumped to 256 but the previous level is not mentioned. Even if I assume a 25% increase, it most likely suggests disease progression.

I would get fresh CT scans to assess the disease status and change the therapy to induce response again.

Hope this helps. I will be available for followup.
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist