What causes elevated calcium levels?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 3 Aug 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello!
I am a 58 year old XXXXXXX XXXXXXX female.
I had my 4 month blood work done (diabetic) and my calcium was 11. It has been this for years. I had a chest ex ray for scocadocis (?) and it came back normal. I have a bone density test done yearly. My doctor said we'll continue to monitor. I go back in the next 4 months.
I have lost 32 pounds on the Nutrimost program and my doctor took me off of my 30 units of insulin, my blood pressure medicine ( 1/2 liscinipril) and my cholesterol ( Crestor 3x a week). This didn't affect my calcium number. I don't take any type of calcium supplement or used any dairy for almost 2 months. Can you give me any guidance or is this just my heritage makeup?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
you need to check your parathyroids

Detailed Answer:

mild calcium elevation is very commonly caused by hyperparathyroidism. A PTH measurement and calcium and phosphorus measurement are essential first steps for the diagnosis. A parathyroid ultrasound may detect an adenoma in such cases. In early cases there may be no significant clinical findings and the diagnosis can be sought only after an elevated calcium level is incidentally detected.
Vitamin D has to be measured also, because increased vitamin D is another cause of hypercalcemia.
Hyperthyroidism may cause increased calcium due to increased bone turnover.
Malignancies have to be excluded if all else fails to justify the increased calcium.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!