What causes elevated calcium levels?
I am a 58 year old XXXXXXX XXXXXXX female.
I had my 4 month blood work done (diabetic) and my calcium was 11. It has been this for years. I had a chest ex ray for scocadocis (?) and it came back normal. I have a bone density test done yearly. My doctor said we'll continue to monitor. I go back in the next 4 months.
I have lost 32 pounds on the Nutrimost program and my doctor took me off of my 30 units of insulin, my blood pressure medicine ( 1/2 liscinipril) and my cholesterol ( Crestor 3x a week). This didn't affect my calcium number. I don't take any type of calcium supplement or used any dairy for almost 2 months. Can you give me any guidance or is this just my heritage makeup?
you need to check your parathyroids
mild calcium elevation is very commonly caused by hyperparathyroidism. A PTH measurement and calcium and phosphorus measurement are essential first steps for the diagnosis. A parathyroid ultrasound may detect an adenoma in such cases. In early cases there may be no significant clinical findings and the diagnosis can be sought only after an elevated calcium level is incidentally detected.
Vitamin D has to be measured also, because increased vitamin D is another cause of hypercalcemia.
Hyperthyroidism may cause increased calcium due to increased bone turnover.
Malignancies have to be excluded if all else fails to justify the increased calcium.
I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Elevated calcium level in women
- Slightly elevated calcium levels
- Elevated calcium levels
- Elevated calcium levels and enlarged spleen
- Elevated calcium levels in blood
- What causes elevated calcium level in blood
- Elevated calcium levels with hcg
- Elevated calcium levels and cancer
- Causes of elevated calcium levels
- Does cushings disease cause elevated calcium levels
- Suggest treatment for splenic cyst
- What causes dry throat?
- What causes itching in breast?
- What causes chest pain and heart burn?
- Suggest treatment for pain in heels
- Can i take Paxil along with Clonidine?
- Suggest ways to manage diabetes
- Does taking Plaquinel for lupus affect the memory?
- What does an enlarged lymph node on neck indicate?
- Is infection possible by touching a dead bird despite using a disinfectant?