question-icon

What causes elevated blood pressure while on lower dose of Metoprolol?

Posted on Wed, 23 Mar 2016
Question: Yesterday my cardiologist took me off 1 of my metoprolol tablets because of the beta blocker. I take budesonide and mysteriq My blood pressure has been going up. I took it this morning and I is 158 over 82. Is that normal
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka (54 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your elevated blood pressure is related to the reduce of metoprolol dose.

What is your actual dose of metoprolol?

Why did the doctor decide to reduce metoprolol dose? What is your actual heart rate?

What is your past medical history?

Could you spell again mysteriq, because I think you have missspelled it.

Butesonide is a steroid, which can lead to an increase in your blood pressure.

I recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure values and heart rate values and refer them to your doctor.

Further changes in your anti-hypertensive therapy should be considered (an increase in the dose of metoprolol, or add another antihypertensive drug like hydrochlorothiazide or losartan) to have a better control of your blood pressure.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist