What causes elevated alkaline phosphatase level in liver?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi I delivered a baby 4 months through normal delivery and last 3 months I had a nausea so doctor advised for liver function test and here are the reports alkaline phosphatase is high .Is it indicates liver damage and some thing alarming please reply ASAP and I'm exclusive breast feeding and here with I attached report and wat could be done further
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Breas feeding/ gallbladdert issues may be the causes..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you asking on HCM.
I read carefully all your test reports and I can say as follows:

1. You have high ALP ( alkaline phosphatase). All the other exam were normal.
This may be related with :
- breastfeeding is associated with increased level of ALP
- gallbladder issues
- bone issues

Otherwise to give an accurate opinion I need to know more like:
- why you have done these exams?
- do you have abdominal pain, fever or other symptoms?
- do you have joint pain or bone issues?

2.At your case I would recommend to do further exams like:
- abdominal ultrasound( to rule out/ confirm gallbladder issues)
- GGT( it is elevated the causes of high ALP is related with gallbladder issues)
- blood electrolytes

Wish you all the best
Dr.Klerida

Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 59 minutes later
I had nausea for last 3 days so my physician told for lft and he told increased ALF due to medications I took allercet 3 days I dono because of that and he prescribed udiliv 300 above that should I need to go for ultra sound m GGT test whether udiliv safe during breastfeeding and whether nausea is some thing alarming
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
abdominal ultrasound/ GGt strongly adviced

Detailed Answer:
Hi back

Udiliv I s considered safe during breastfeeding as very insignificant drug gets excreted in milk. However I prefer to avoid medication use during breastfeeding.

I prescribe it only when I have a clear indication to use. Udiliv is used when the doctor suspect for gallbladder issues like sludge.
At your case you are not fully diagnosed since you have not done all needed exams.

So I strongly recommend to do abdominal ultrasound and GGT before start using udiliv. Please discuss it with your doctor.

Wish you all the best.
dr.Klerida

Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 13 hours later
Thanks is it alarming due to this liver abnormality and whether it is curable one .Can I continue with breast feeding or by any chance this alp increase affect baby and also does this increase any where associated with stress because I have only nausea for 4 days
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue breastfeeding

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
There is nothing alarming at your test reports. There is no emergency at your health.
You can continue with breastfeeding. ALP level doesn't affect human milk.

Breastfeeding is really important for a healthy baby.
It is unlikely that stress elevate ALP level. It may be increased during breastfeeding.

Otherwise it's better if you rule out other issues that I have mentioned above, more so when you have had nausea.

Wishing you all the best.
Dr.Klerida