What causes elevated alkaline phosphatase in blood?
Advisable to meet a Physician and a hepatologist
Thanks for writing in to us.
This is Dr.Riyanka and I am glad to be helping you with your query.
The gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) test is used to determine the cause of elevated alkaline phosphatase (ALP).It is used to help detect liver disease and bile duct obstructions.
Only ALP will be elevated in disease of the bone .
Both ALP and GGT are elevated in disease of the bile ducts and in some liver diseases.
Along with GGT even Alanine transaminase , Aspartate Aminotransferase, ALP, and bilirubin is usually done.
An increased GGT level indicates that a person's liver is damaged but not the cause of injury.Its levels are high in alcoholic hepatitis.
Does the patient have any signs or symptoms presently?
Also it is advisable to meet a Physician and a hepatologist regarding the reports.
Hope this answers your query. Don't worry .
Do write back if you have any further doubts.
Get well soon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Elevated alkaline phosphatase and testosterone
- Elevated alkaline phosphatase gallstones
- Causes high alkaline phosphatase in diabetes
- Can urimax cause elevated levels of alkaline phosphatase
- High alkaline phosphatase what is the cause treatment
- Elevated alkaline phosphatase in blood
- High alkaline phosphatase causes
- What causes bone pain and elevated alkaline phosphatase
- Raised alkaline phosphatase causes
- Causes of elevated alkaline phosphatase