What causes elevated WBC count?

Question
yes I had bad hip infection after total hip replacement when I came home they gave me ivs now pills when on iv my wbc was 5.4 4 weeks ago 7.4 now up to 7.7 if my wbc count keeps rising does that mean my infection is getting worse or what
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No worries yet, still within normal limits, monito

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do understand that rising white blood cell levels could be a call for concern. However, it might be interesting and reassuring to know that though rising, your white blood cell count is still within normal limits (4.5 - 10).

It is important to also note that in case of certain severe infections, the white blood cell count could be low. Rising white blood cells within normal limits could be an indication that the body 's inflammatory response works appropriately.

It is advisable however to monitor the white blood cell count, and in case it goes above 11, something serious should be considered and searched for.

It is important to get these tests done in the same laboratory and under similar conditions. Differences in collection and manipulation can at times lead to one obtaining different readings.

Other clinical signs like fever and pain should be monitored. If absent or if ameliorating you really need not bother. control blood tests like the erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C reactive proteins are also helpful in knowing if the changing white blood cell counts are explained by an infectious process going on.

I think you need not bother as of now. However, be watchful and your doctor with the aid of some radiologic and blood cells shall intervene in case of need. No worries as of now.

Dr Bain