What causes elevated WBC count with abnormal proteins in blood?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I've been told I have a protein issue with my white blood cells and I need to see an Oncologist. What's up?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible M.M but please follow the recommendations of your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
I carefully read the information you have provided and understand your concern with the advice given to see an oncologist.

Before you read further, I would like to inform that it is best if you can provide a bit more detailed information which will help to give more specific answers related to the actual disease process and obvious medical facts- this will prevent unnecessarily anxiety too.

In males over 50 years old, the disease is a white blood cell disease with an extra protein production, a possible cause of this might be Multiple Myeloma (M.M) which is a tumor of the white blood cells that produces a protein called M protein and can be found in blood during tests. It can also cause Bence XXXXXXX protein in urine- found in urine tests. There is also some bone pain associated with this in a number of patients with this disease and also altered level of calcium in blood by causing high levels of calcium in blood.

Please follow the instructions of your doctor and do all the proper examinations and tests so you have a more thorough evaluation and more information on what is going on. Please feel free to upload the doctor's prescriptions and reports here at the reports section so that I can review them and guide you further.

I wish you well.

Kind Regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee