• question-icon

What causes elevated TSH levels?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My Tsh was 5.50 last time and it's usualy below 3.5. I.ve been on.88 thyyroxine for years.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

Your concern is appreciated

The normal levels for tsh is 0.5- 4 mlU/L the higher levels are due to the fact that thyroid is inactive or in other words that thyroid harmones are insufficient so you may be not taking enough medication you can increase the dose of thyroxin in consult with your doctor. The question is that you have been taking the dosse for years and now the test is showing results which suggest insufficient treatment if its single reading then repeat the test and test it twice or thrice if still its higher them you need to increase the dose.
Your body requirements may have been increased the dose is dependent on age and weight. There are some things that decrease absorption of thyroxin like cholestyramine colestipol aluminium hydroxide ferrous sulphate and fiber.

Hope it helps

wishing you best of health

Please consult your doctor before taking any further course of action

Thanks.

Dr M.S Khalil.
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil