question-icon

What causes elevated TSH level in blood?

Posted on Wed, 20 May 2015
Question: latest report of T3, T4 and TSH shows T-3 1.36 n moL/L, T4 117.3 n moL/L and TSH 11.40. Currently my wife is taking Thyronorm 100 mg per day what dosage will you advise.
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP (36 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Increase the dose to 125 mcg if she is already taking medications regularly

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXX,

Welcome to HCM. Thanks for posting the question.

Once on treatment the TSH should be between 0.5 and 3.5 miu/ml. Her TSH is high. If she was taking Thyronorm 100 mcg regularly in morning empty stomach till now, she needs to increase the dose to 125 mcg. If she was not taking the medications regularly, continue with 100mcg for another 6 weeks and retest.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

With warm regards,
Dr Ajish TP (MD,DM)
Consultant Endocrinologist.

Dr. Ajish TP

Endocrinologist