Owl Image

What causes elevated SGOT levels?

Owl Image
Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Question
My son is 35 years old. Yesterday his SGOT level was 199. He states that he only drinks two beers a month, however he was involved in risky sexual behavior over two years ago. What could cause this elevation?
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He need other tests like LFT,Lipid profile etc.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

SGOT is normally found in red blood cells,liver cells,muscle cells and heart. It is released into the blood when these cells are damaged.
Increase in SGOT may be due to many reasons like hepatitis,alcohol intake,muscle disease,kidney,pancreas,heart or liver disease etc.

Your son need proper clinical examination and few more investigations.

Most probably it is not related to risky sexual behavior over two years ago.

He need investigations like random blood sugar (RBS), renal function test (RFT), viral markers, complete liver function test (LFT), lipid profile, urine RE/ME.
He also need Ultrasound of abdomen.
Please get at least ultrasound of abdomen done.Ultrasound of abdomen is important to know the condition of liver.

Proper treatment depend upon findings.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX