What causes elevated SGOT and ALT levels

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
my dr office just called and said my blood work results showed elevated SGOT at 308
and my ALT 88. I did not fast. I am 36 Female 118 lbs. eat a good amount of protein. I also work out. Should I worry?
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep a watch

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in

Though SGOT is high I would suggest you keep away from alcohol if you are consuming any and any hepatotoxic medicines. Go for a full liver panel after one week and see if it comes back to baseline. If not see your gastroentrologist.

The elevated level may be concerning. However I would be able to comment on the concerns after repeat tests are done. Talk to your doctor about this action plan.

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern