• question-icon

What causes elevated PSA levels?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi, long story....in January did a medical for insurance, PSA of 5.2
So needed to repeat test, end of January I get UTI , go to doc get antibiotics for 12 days ...
End of February go back to doc to check infection gone
PSA at 14!!!!
Sent to urologist, yesterday ....redid PSA now 17... No sign of infection , no symptoms ....urologist wants to do biopsy next Friday !...I feel find, stream fine some post void dribble.
Rang my doc....she don't understand fast rise l...thinks more opinions required ...
So .....ideas?.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will say that the biopsy is needed!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this increasing PSA numbers. To me, it is very important to establish what the cause is. Though there are other causes, it is very important that this biopsy be carried out. This will get the most worrisome possible cause out of the way. With the end dribble and UTI, these could be suggestive of a possible prostate problem.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah