What causes elevated PSA levels?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My father aged 63yrs, recently carried some tests for pain during urination. He did Prostate Specific antigen test and ultrasound examination of abdomen and pelvis alongwith the normal urine analysis. His PSA is 20.5 ng/mL, ultrasound suggests increase in size of prostate 5.3X3.4X3.5 cms (vol. 34 cc) and urine analysis show presence of pus cells (1-2) and RBC's (10-12 non crenated). Doctor have asked him to undergo the TRUS guided Biopsy.
Is he at high risk of having prostate cancer?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prostate Biopsy is mandatory to confirm cancer of prostate .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your father has been detected to have raised PSA levels 20.5

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem
1) Does he have any urinary symptoms like frequency for urination ,poor stream ,urgency,hesitancy suggestive of Enlarged prostate which is common at this age ?

The raised value of PSA above the level of 4 is always suspected to be due to Cancer of the prostate unless proved otherwise by doing ultrasound guided Biopsy of the prostate ,

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Trans Rectal Ultrasound Scanning (TRUS) guided prostate Biopsy .

As regards your query about high risk cancer it can be commented only after doing the prostate biopsy and few more test like MRI which is normally advised after findings of Biopsy .

Please go ahead and get it done to confirm the diagnosis .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil