What causes elevated PSA levels in the prostate?

Posted on Fri, 25 Nov 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello Dr., I am a 65 year old male and in good health. I've had a psa test for many years in advance of my yearly physical and it has always been around .8. Over the last 4 years, the level has increased slightly from .8 to .9, to 1.0 and just yesterday, my psa result was 1.4. My digital rectal exam has always been normal other than my doctor has said that my prostate is slightly enlarged. My Doctor has also said that as I age, my psa will naturally rise. I know that my levels are low but am concerned with the increase from 1.0 to 1.4 over the past year. I have my yearly physical with my Doctor in a few days and wondered what your thoughts are with this increase. Thanks for the help.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not significant

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
PSA is not produced only by prostate and it's values vary even in few days with no specific reason. So everything below 4 is normal and increases or decreases within this range are normal. Probably,if you test in one week there will be difference again. Some specific prostate disorders raise PSA much higher,especially tumors. So I don't see any reason for concerns. All you need it so to repeat PSA in few months. Prostate ultrasound is not necessary at this point but can be done to ease your minds. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon