What causes elevated Immunoglobulin A antibodies?

Posted on Tue, 16 Sep 2014 in Cancer
Question: Would you please explain to me about the meaning blood work number of "Immunoglobulin A"? Is this a big health concern?

What can one do to lower the number down? Right now, it is 681 mg/dL which is more than the maximum limit (range 91-414).

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Monish De 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blood test for food allergy

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Immunoglobulin A are class of antibodies that are produced predominantly against ingested antigens and are found in body secretions such as saliva, sweat, and tears.

Their function is to prevent attachment of viruses and bacteria to epithelial surfaces.They guards against infection in mucosal surfaces.

High range of Immunoglobulin A that is 681 mg/dl in you case can be due to food allergy.

You need to see an allergy specialist who will test your blood for most common food allergies like wheat, milk, nuts and soy.

Infections and chronic inflammation can also cause high Immunoglobulin A.

Avoiding the particular food you are allergic to and treating any infections and chronic inflammatory condition in your body will lower the Immunoglobulin number down to its normal range.

Hope i have answered your query.

DR De

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 21 hours later

Hi Dr De

You gave us 2 choices for the high immunoglobulin A.

1. "High range of Immunoglobulin A that is 681 mg/dl in you case can be due to food allergy.

You need to see an allergy specialist who will test your blood for most common food allergies like wheat, milk, nuts and soy."

2. "Infections and chronic inflammation can also cause high Immunoglobulin A."
WHAT TYPE OF DOCTOR FOR US TO VISIT about the Infection and chronic inflammaton?? Infection of which parts in the body?

So my relative must go to see BOTH Dr for the 2 tests??
Please let us know.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Monish De 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
internal medicine specialist

Detailed Answer:
Hi

High immunoglobulin A can be due to infection and chronic inflammation of liver, joints, skin, kidneys, heart, lungs, nerves, or blood cells in your body.

It can also be due to food allergy .

I would recommend u take an opinion of a internal medicine specialist who will perform the 2 tests. If necessary he/she can guide you to the next specialist.

If you have no more clarifications then please rate the answer and close the thread.

DR De

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist