What causes elevated IgG levels in blood?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Nov 2015 in Cancer
Question: I have multiple myeloma. Recently I had surgery to remove a benign pelvic wall cyst. Blood work before surgery showed my IgG at 1700 and 2wks after surgery it jumped to just over 2700. Would the surgery have an effect on the IgG levels...also it's allergy season here in Arizona. This sudden increase seems to be unusual. Background: diagnosed in 2010 level 1; current treatment Velcade 2.2mg w/ 8mg steroid 1x's a week. IgG has been holding between 1500-1800 for the past 5 years. Lambda Light Chains range 25-38 in the past year. No lesions evident on Skeletal Survey or PET/CT. Just the condition showing in my blood work. Thanks for any help. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unlikely to be related to myeloma

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Going by your history, your myeloma seems to be under good control. It should not fluctuate in weeks. This sudden jump in IgG is most likely an immune response to the surgery or some infection after surgery. Allergic response is also unlikely as mostly IgE increases in that.

In all probability it will come down to baseline in another few weeks time.

Hope this helps.

Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Thank you, that was my what my intuition was telling me. It's interesting that so many oncologist I've talked to here in the States discount an infection (even an unknown one) as having a big affect to my IgG....interesting that I can track my allergy season reactions to my ups and downs in IgG but the reactions usually cause a mild sinus infection which now may explain the ups and downs....(I keep a spread sheet that's 5yrs old to track my progress). Thanks for your help and will take what you said into consideration and watch for the hoped for adjustments.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes hope for the best

Detailed Answer:
It should come down.