What causes elevated GGT levels?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I had to have a full blood test for Life Insurance everything came back what seemed ok but my GGT level came back 124 . What would cause this? I'm not a drinker and I dont take drugs.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Welcome to HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
See GGT levels are usually raised in liver diseases, medicine intake, pancreatic issues, alcohol consumption.
Isolated GGT levels have also been co related to heart diseases.
I would advise you following:
1. Viral Markers.
2. Ultrasound abdomen.
3. ECG.
If they all come out to be normal I would advise you not to worry as this is a non specific marker and to get it repeated after 2 months
If you have any further query please ask me.
Stay Healthy.