What causes elevated GGT levels while on treatment for schizophrenia?
Decrease dose of tegritol and progaba
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.
Drugs that can increase GGT levels include alcohol, antiepileptic like carbamazepine, valproate, pregabaline etc. You have been on tegritol (carbamazepine) and progaba (pregabaline). These drugs could be the culprit in your case. In schizophrenia, there is no need to take anti-epileptic drugs. You could be symptom less with antipsychotics like arpizole or olanzapine or risperdone. If you stop tegritol and progaba, GGT level would come down.
Rest, liver function test is normal. That's mean, there is no need to worry. Your liver is in normal condition.
In case, you need further help, you can ask.
Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Schizophrenia causes
- What treatment is suggested for paranoid schizophrenia
- What is schizophrenia
- What causes bulging of eyes when on schizophrenia medication
- Treatment for schizophrenia
- What is the ayurvedic treatment for schizophrenia
- What#39s the best treatment for schizophrenia
- Treatment-resistant schizophrenia causes
- What is the treatment for bipolar disorder and schizophrenia
- What are the symptoms and treatment for schizophrenia