• question-icon

What causes elevated GGT levels in blood?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have a 117 GGT level in blood, and this is the second test that shows it elevated; first one was 97 just recently.Other liver tests are normal. I am not a drinker at all. What could cause it? How dangerous is it? What has to be excluded from my diet?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the GGT itself will not harm you, but it is an indicator

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

GGT is found in the liver , kidney and pancreas mainly. Also found in the heart, brain , spleen and intestines

Though alcohol use is one of the more common causes, there are other causes as well, elevation can be due to issues with liver or can be extra hepatic (outside liver causes).
Since your other liver enzymes are normal, this may mean it is due to an extrahepatic cause.

Liver causes are: (a)hepatitis- inflammation of the liver
(b)mass in the liver
(c)biliary cirhosis- damage to the bile ducts/passages for bile in the liver

Extrahepatic (outside liver) causes: (A)pancreatitis
(b)heart failure
(c)side effect of medication- need to check if related to any traditional or herbal meds
(d)lupus
(e)smoking
(f)ca breast

There are no diet changes that can be made to decrease levels. The cause would need to be found and addressed.

The increase in the GGT itself is not dangerous (the GGt itself will not harm you) but it is an indicator that something may or may not be going on in the body

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
What is my ALT level was slightly elevated in my first test? What is ca breast you mentioned? Is it breast cancer?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ALT is another liver enzyme

Detailed Answer:
HI

ALT is another liver enzyme. It is found in other places than the liver but it is mainly used to assess liver function.
If the ALT was also slightly increased, this may mean that the increased GGT is related to liver disease

In terms of the ca breast, this does refer to breast cancer but this is an rare uncommon cause.

Please feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James