What causes elevated ESR with diarrhea despite taking calcium carbonate?

Question
I have a slightly elevated ESR.......when I had my blood tested for moderate bouts of diarrhea......my weight and appetite are fine...it's just that every few days I get diarrhea. I have absolutely no stomach pain or other symptoms. I take 3,000 milligrams of calcium carbonate every day for low calcium levels.

Are you still there......

I am still waiting for a response........it's been almost 20 minutes!!
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explanations on the ESR and the diarrhea episodes

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

ESR normal values tent to rise with age so a slightly elevated ERS might be a normal finding in your case. Up to 30 generally there is nothing to worry.

As for the diarrhea you have on and off there are many issues that might be considered as the possible cause.
A very common reason is milk intolerance. If you would like to try it take away milk for 2-3 weeks from your diet and see if this improves your bowel movement. You can have yogurt and cheese as these do not cause intolerance.

Another thing to consider is the decrease of the enzymes of pancreas. These are the ones that help brake down food in the bowel and if they are not in high enough amount, might cause the food not to be completely dissolved in the bowel and cause diarrhea.

Having a stool check for ova and parasites might be a good idea to rule out parasites and also a stool test for Giardia antigen to rule it out might be considered.

If your stool color is normal and no blood present with it (no dark black stools and no clear blood) than these examinations might good enough as a first stage of evaluation. After the results of these examinations than would be possible to know the cause of the diarrhea you are having or will help determine if other tests are needed.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to let me know if any more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD