What causes elevated ESR levels?

Posted on Mon, 15 Sep 2014 in Infections
Question: i am a male, age 46 years,i received my blood test report in which the ESR 1st hour 42mm , 2nd hour 80 mm, i am running cold,fever, backpain,since 21 days, i am a diabetic , i feel twisting & indigestion problem since 6 months, please suggest treatment and diet in regular course, thank u, XXXXX XXXXXXX kindly prefer a right medicines for treatment of high ESR.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Elevated ESR is not enough to diagnose sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

i have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

i should rightfully start by explaining the significance of ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate). Elevation of ESR indicates inflammation anywhere in the body, and so the elevation of ESR in your blood reports indicates some inflammation somewhere, but not necessarily associated with infection or any other pathologies based on your blood report.

Your blood reports are quite normal and other than the raised ESR, there is absolutely nothing abnormal sir. No sign of infection, allergies, parasite infections, anemia, etc. This means there could be some inflammation in your body either acute or chronically due to any underlying pathology. Your diabetes can also be a cause to such inflammation, and I would thus suggest an ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis to look for any inflammation of the inner organs which should coincide with your current reports.

I would also recommend a repeat complete blood count as your reports are already more than a week old. Please make sure you request for the following investigations include:
-CBC
-RFT
-LFT
-Urine analysis
-HbA1c
-Ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis
-Serum ANA

I hope you understand Fazlullah XXXXXXX that an elevated ESR is a very insignificant finding, as this does not directly indicate anything except inflammation. We need to find the part inflamed, the cause and only then can we direct treatment.

I would thus recommend a visit to your doctor and requesting all the above mentioned investigations, or visiting a diagnostic centre and requesting for these investigations. You can write back to me with the test results or visit a doctor with the reports sir.

I hope you find my response helpful sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you sir.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 hours later
thank u very much to answer & guiding me to go for further lab investigiations to reach the correct results of inflammated part of the body. XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Happy to be of assistance

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again XXXXXX

It was my pleasure entirely. Please keep in touch for any further clarifications you have, I am always here to help.

Best of luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Shoaib Khan