What causes elevated BP and excessive sweating?

Question
I am 63 year old female-overweight. I usually have low blood pressure but lately it is elevated. I feel clamy-sweat profusely on forehead and neck. I feel like that I am going to pass out. Is this relevant?
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need a doctor; s review, 24 hour blood pressure mo

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do understand this could be very disturbing to have fluctuations in the blood pressure. This is not a rare phenomenon though.

It might be important to properly get a diagnosis if either hypotension, hypertension or fluctutations in both. A 24 hour blood pressure monitoring could be of utmost importance.

However, the fact that you are feeling clamsy and sweaty are more in favor of low blood pressure (hypotension).

A rare cause of hypertension, called a phaeochromocytoma, a tumor of the adrenal gland (above the kidneys) presents with a feeling of being sweaty, abdominal pains, and bouts of associated low blood pressure. Vanyl mandelic acid levels in urine and an abdominal scan are usually helpful in making a diagnosis.

Have you ever had a fasting blood glucose done? Hypoglycemia at times could cause a funny sweaty mood also.

It might be interesting to note any family history of heart disease. A chest X ray, an electrocardiogramme and a cardiac ultrasound could be useful.

A proper clinical review from an internist first could be very useful. Kind regards,

Dr Bain