What causes elevated 5 hydroxyindoleacetic acid in urine?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Cancer
Question: Hi,
I have elevated 5haa urine at 6.4 repeated twice. My doctor wants me to undergo the nuclear study.
I also have c-diff and getting antibiotics for a month. Is the nuc study justified at this levels.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Monish De 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Must undergo nuclear study

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Since you are having elevated 5 hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5HIAA) in urine twice i would advise you to undergo nuclear study

Elevated 5 HIAA is found in carcinoid syndrome which is a rare cancerous tumor called a carcinoid tumor which are found in gastrointestinal tract and biliary, pancreatic islet and medullary thyroid cancers

NUC study is justified at this level

Dr DE
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Monish De

Oncologist