What causes electric shocks after the C5-C6 and C6-C7 ACDF for treating CSM?
Thanks for posting your query.
I have gone through your query in detail,cause of electric shocks after surgery are
1.Post surgery inflammation.
2.Post surgery heamatoma.
3. Lhermitte's phenomenon.
I hope this answers your query. Let me know if I can assist you further
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Thanks for your reply. I suspect inflammation as doc said my post surgery blood fluid was normal and there was no disease. Steroids worked. Can post-op inflammation cause compression and ischemia? Could I have had a spinal cord stroke? Thanks for helping me understand what happened to me. Kirk Short
Ischaemia or stroke is not likely.
Thanks for writing again.
Post op inflammation can cause a local swelling resulting in compression but it is unlikely to cause any ischaemia.
A spinal cord stroke can happen with anyone but there are certain predisposing factors which aggravate this problem. It is not related to the cervical issues and the surgery.
Hope my answer is helpful.
My revision corpectomy (a partial C5, C6, and partial C7) to decompress my spinal cord occurred eight days after my first C5-6, C6-7 ACDF surgery. All my pain subsided, but I had to retrain myself to walk because I had lost all strength in my legs. Two years later I am now ambulatory but still have tetra paresis, balance issues, and loss of light feeling from chest down to my toes. Could the prolonged post-op inflammation and pressure on my spinal cord have caused my permanent loss of strength and feeling?
Thank you again for helping me understand.
Inflammation alone is less likely to cause a permanent damage.
The permanent loss of sensations and strength is less likely to be caused by inflammation alone as you were started with steroids after the surgery. The steroids are strongest anti inflammatory agents and do help in recovering the swelling and inflammation. But such a permanent loss can happen if it is associated with fibrosis or damage to the nerves or blood supply.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes of electric shock sensations
- What can an electric shock cause bruising
- Causes of after electric shock infertility
- What causes electric shock pain in neck
- What causes electric shocks down your arm
- What causes electric shock in brain and foggy head
- What causes electrical shock feeling in left shoulder
- What causes tenderness between shoulders at c6 and c7 area
- Causes electric shock in back
- Electric shock feeling in armpit painful what is causing it
- Can spinal stenosis cause joints pain and swollen ankle, thighs and knees?
- Having lower back pain with tickling and pulsating sensation. What could...
- MRI of knee showed occult displaced fracture. What is it and what is the...
- What is the cause and treatment for painful knee with walking difficulty?
- Having ump into superclavical. What could the long tube feeling be?
- MRI findings show posterior disc bulges at L5-S1 and L4-5 levels....
- MRI scan shows Lumbar spondylosis. Suggest
- What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated?
- Had MRI scan of right ankle and prescribed with zyloric for reduction of...
- What would be the cause of sudden neck pain on one side?