What causes electric shock type sensations in muscles, chills and nausea?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi I had a high risk exposure to hiv by unprotected vaginal sex, I had fever, lymp nodes swelling, joint pain after 3.5 weeks of exposure. I took a fourth generation test and a Rna qualitative test at 40 days after exposure both came back negative and I took another fourth generation close to the 6 weeks also came back negative. I still have symptoms I feel pain all over my body like electric shocks all over my muscles, chills and nausea. What are the chances of the 3 test being false negative? I know that the rna test only checks for hiv1 could it possible I have hiv2? Could it be that I haven't developed antibodies for hiv2 yet? Please help me I'm greatfull for your service. God bless.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The symptoms are not related to HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

You had high risk unprotected vaginal sex but 4th generation test at 40 days and 6 weeks along with RNA PCR at 40 days are negative then no need to worry for HIV because these tests are highly reliable and accurate after one month.

The symptoms that you have could be due to other viral illnesses or seasonal changes but not related to HIV. Consult your physician to isolate the cause and follow the treatment regime. The chances of three false negative results are practically nil. I have never came across such a case in my practice.

HIV 2 is prevalent only in some parts of West XXXXXXX so don't worry about it. As your friend I suggest you to avoid such high risk activities and always practice safe sex to prevent future risk of HIV and other STDs. If any doubt left in your mind feel free to ask me and I am always available here to help you.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Yes the main reason why I'm concerned is because I hardly ever get sick and another symptom is a red rash I had my skin peel off last night on my face. And some red rash on my chest too. Another thing I forgot to mention the woman I was with was with a lot of guys I found out after she lied to me. All stds came out negative except for hsv 1. But my doctor said most people have that. Do you think I should re-test. I'm really sorry I'm just very concern because I have my 2 kids that still need my help. I'm really worried about catching hiv. I know that you are an expert and I feel better once you told me about my results. Thanks again for your feed back.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to re-test for STDs.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

Red rash on face and chest may be due to some allergy or other fungal infection which is common during summer. Having multiple sexual partners is very high risk for HIV but the risk is very unlikely in your case because 4th generation test result after 6 weeks is negative so don't get too anxious or worried.

If all the STDs came out negative except HSV1 then there is no need to re-test as it is very common in most of the people as your doctor said. You need to go for repeat HIV testing after 3 months as per international guidelines to get 100% reliable and conclusive result till then be relaxed and move ahead in life.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 15 hours later
Is the Rna qualitative test the same as Rna pcr? If not what is the difference? Which one is more accurate?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Both tests are same.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome back once again.

RNA qualitative and RNA PCR both are same tests with very high accuracy and reliability after 30 days so when to get tested is very important.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 hours later
What is the accuracy after 30 days?
The reason why I ask. Is because I have never felt this sick in my entire life. I'm really concern that I was misdiagnose.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
The test is highly accurate after 30 days.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

RNA PCR and 4th generation test is highly reliable and accurate after 30 days and the possibility of misdiagnosis is very unlikely so don't get tensed or worried as the risk is practically nil in your case.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 8 hours later
Have you ever seen a case where someone with similar situation became positive after 3 months?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I have not seen such a case.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

I have not came across such case where negative result of 6 weeks turned out to positive after three months so be relaxed and don't worry about that.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
What I'm trying to understand is at 6 weeks the p24 antigen is no longer detectable what if I haven't developed antibodies at 6 weeks. How can the fourth generation be conclusive at 6 weeks? I'm sorry I'm just trying to make sense of the test.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
P24 test is for detection of antigen not antibodies.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

P24 assay is for detection of antigen not antibody and it will surely detect the infection if any present. That is why this test is highly reliable at 6 weeks so don't panic so much as the risk is very unlikely.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar